Sphinn

DE Sphinn??

16 Comments 17 January 2008

sphinn DE Sphinn??It seems that Sk*rt is not the only social media site adding down voting to their site and a conversation has exploded over at the niche social media site, Sphinn about the fact that they too are looking to implement the negative vote option to their posts……..

“We’ve mentioned
in various threads over the past few weeks a new feature we’ll be
bringing on board in the next couple of weeks that will enable users to
give a negative/thumbs down/disagree vote on topics submitted. We’re
calling this “desphinn”.”

They want everyone’s opinion and so far, 36 comments have left Sphinners skeptical and flat out “against” the idea. If you use Sphinn and would like to voice your opinion about this new feature, you can read the post here.

Quite frankly, I don’t know what to think. I like the idea of burying posts that are not on topic and leaving a comment that applies to why they did not like it. Evidently, users have been using the spam button if they don’t like a story and that is not the way to use this platform either. Just because someone doesn’t agree with a story does not make the story spam. So, in a way they probably have been in need of this feature for a while and some are just nervous that it could be abused.

What do you think?

pixel DE Sphinn??

Your Comments

16 Comments so far

1. Lucy Dee says:

Personally, I hate the idea of negative voting. I think it’s a privilege often abused. It makes for an easy way to backbite and defame. If someone doesn’t like an article or item, just don’t vote for it. That’s it. That’s all. Why do we need the “thumbs down”?

I’m working on a long article about my experience with StumbleUpon and how I think some users are just plain spiteful.

I’m not a Sphinn user, yet. But I’m sure I will be. But I would rather just keep things as civil as possible.

2. Jenny says:

I like the neg. vote. It will allow everyone to help get rid of spam submissions and all that.

3. Ege Ersoz says:

I agree with Lucy. When you think about it, not voting *is* negative voting in an environment when you’re competing for reader attention.

Concerns about abusing aside, an explicit negative voting system seems unnecessary.

4. spostareduro says:

We learn from negatives as well as positives.
    I believe that free speech should always be allowed except when it is harmful to others.
    The Spam addition to Sphinn is relevant and needed, but I am afraid of the possible abuse. And you are right Kristen..
    If we do not approve of a post, it should be left w/out a Sphinn or otherwise commented upon..not spammed..That is certainly abuse in itself.

5. Meg says:

But doesn’t the absence of a positive really construe a negative? Will it give rise to a “bury brigade”? Isn’t there enough negativity in the world?

6. karooch says:

Well I have to say that I’m not a big fan of voting down sites just because I don’t happen to like them. Sheesh, if that were the case then the Internet would be a fraction the size that it is now.

I can see a need to control spammers. But frankly if something is not my cup of tea I just surf over to another site.

I guess if a site is going to implement this then it should be compulsory for people who vote down to leave a reason. That way only people who strongly feel there is a good reason to vote down a site will do it and it won’t just be a haphazard thing or a turf war with competitors in a niche.

7. sk-rt.com says:

Social Media Mom: DE Sphinn??

Very interesting and topical discussion on whether social media sites should be implementing the vote down options.

8. I think to have a battle between the supporters of a post and those who are not impressed by the post is counter-productive. That’s why the debate is so difficult at Sphinn. I’ve been pushing for a Ho-Hum button that was as easy to use as the Sphinn button. This way if you are not impressed by a post, you can indicate your negativity without it being a battle against the supporters. By showing both counts, the Sphinners and the Ho-Hummers, anyone can get a better indication of the division of opinion. If you only show the arithmetical difference between the two numbers you have no idea of how many people have expressed an opinion one way or the other.

9. I think it’s a terrible idea. I think these people are marketers, myself included, and there will probably be some that will de-sphinn simply because they disagree, and some others that will desphinn someone above them to get their own entry bumped onto “Top 10 Most Votes In Upcoming”.

I’m willing to give it a try, but I’m skeptical at best.

10. webduck says:

Personally, I think giving a thumbs down is sometimes valid. I have certainly done it on Stumble when I find a site totally worthless. Sphinn isn’t a site I visit often though. Lately, I have been spending a lot of time dropping Entrecards and getting tons of traffic in the process. Are any of you using Entrecard? I will visit if you are. :)

11. I’m not quite sure why it should be an issue that people be given a choice.

Allowing people to vote something down no more of an open door to abuse than letting someone vote something up…

12. Kyle says:

I agree, not voting is negative. Things can never get hot if people don’t vote. StumbleUpon is a little different as everything is indexed there.

13. Don Draper says:

I think a lot of people (especially on other networks) have no clue how to use the thumbs down. If something really is spam, then use the spam button. But just because you disagree doesn’t mean that it’s an idea that shouldn’t be discussed. People come to these sites for interesting content, not a popularity contest.

My mother used to say “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything.” I used to leave blank post-it notes on co-workers monitors….

14. Pinny Cohen says:

Negative voting will only add another dimension which can be “gamed”. That is essentially was has been ruining digg, where the tyranny of the majority has been burying useful info simply because they don’t agree with it.

15. Kristen says:

Quite the discussion. Seems there is a mixxed bag when it comes to down voting, not voting and thumbs up. One thing to point out is that on sites like StumbleUpon, where a thumbs down simply means you don’t want to see sites like this, folks still take it as a very negative response to a site or post. I think the bottom line is…some just really don’t know how to use these sites the way they were intended to be used and ignorance becomes seen as abuse.

16. Negative voting has only been bad for me in the past. Digg has this option and when I bury a post because it obviously doesn’t have to do with anything the title says or just completely advertising itself. They come back to one of my earlier post and bury it because I bury theirs… So IMO this idea isn’t a GREAT idea unless you can find a way to have it not abused,spam, because you despinn me I despinn you.

Share your view