Social Networking

January Roundup: The Best In Mom Networking Sites

46 Comments 31 January 2008

Mom-to-mom wisdom is all over the place in the social media realm. Moms are blogging, sharing photos, sharing videos, and organizing groups, like never before, in order to connect with other moms with similar interests.

mothers2 jp70 4 January Roundup: The Best In Mom Networking Sites

I found this space to be so constant, engaging and extremely interactive that I have put together a list of mom-sites that I consider to be pertinent in the realm of social media. While some sites are geared toward women in general and some are geared toward parenting, all have strong “mom” foundations. If you know of a networking site for moms that is not listed here, please feel free to e-mail me or leave a comment below as this list will be updated throughout the year.

Digg-like mom sites with voting

1. Sk*rtFind news, ideas, information, and cool products. PR 5
2. Mom Blog NetworkA place to discover new blogs and share content. PR 5
3. BringrWomen can “bring” stories and vote. PR 5
4. SatyWomen’s user voted content portal. PR 2

Mom networking sites with ratings

1. CapessaReal women. Real stories. PR 6
2. Parents ConnectParenting advice. PR 6
3. Minti - Advice, friendship and community for parents. PR 6
4. Maya’s MomConnect with parents, share pictures, get advice. PR 3
5. Mom JunctionPersonal mom network of information. PR 6
6. Cafe MomMoms can make friends and express themselves. PR 6
7. BabbleCommunity for a new generation of parents. PR 6

Mom networking sites with no voting or ratings

1. BlogherThe community for women who blog. PR 6
2. MothersClickConnecting. Learning. Sharing. PR 6
3. MommylandSupporting all moms. PR 2
4. Operation MomShare, meet, schedule and more. PR 4
5. The Mom Bloggers ClubWhere mom bloggers converge. PR 5
6. BabyCenterCommunity with parenting advice. PR 6
7. ClubMomCommunity with product information for moms. PR 5
8. Connecting Moms – Share, Support, Empower, and Connect with other moms. PR 4
9. Mom Logic – Comprehensive wiki community for moms. PR 4
10. KabooseDiscussions on parenting, family and blogs. PR 5
11. SisterWomanA support network of women. PR 6

12. BMumsFriendship network for mothers only. PR 0
13. MomSpaceLocal and national network for moms. PR 4
14. Real Live MomsMembership community for live networking with other moms. $57.50/yr. PR 5
15. WestCoast Mom’sMoms connecting with moms on parenting and career. PR 4

2. The Mom BlogsFree directory of moms who blog. PR 5
3. Blogs By WomenDirectory of women bloggers with $4 fee. PR 6
4. BlogamamaFree blog directory for moms. PR 4
5. The Mom SalonFree directory of the smartest mom blogs. PR 4
6. Pajama Mommy Community – Free directory of mommy blogs. PR 4
7. MotherDreams – A free directory for work-at-home-moms. PR 4

As I mentioned above, if you know of a site that reflects the rise in social media and geared towards moms, please let me know and I will add it to the list. And be sure to check back at the end of February for another list of social networking sites in a specific category.

pixel January Roundup: The Best In Mom Networking Sites

Your Comments

46 Comments so far

1. Char says:

I just did a similar list on my site. Looks like I have even more sites to check out. Thanks.

2. Great post, Kristen!! There are so many mom’s with websites and blogs working from home so they are there for their children…. this is an excellent resource to have all the Mom Social Networking sites in one spot.

Nice work!!

Shana Albert

3. Kristen says:

Char,
    Your list is awesome and has a few more sites that I should check out to see if they should be on the list. I really tried to stick with sites that are “network” involved if I had added mom blogs to the list it would never end. LOL

Shana,
    You know, I could not have done this without your encouragement and ideas. I owe you big time and I plan to pay up so keep a look out!

4. joani says:

the only mom site with local business listing to rate and review, local event calendars and social networking.

5. This is a great list. I stumbled it!

Just wanted to add that there are lots of mommy forums too.

These are just a few…

Have a great day! :)

6. lmayes says:

Wow, this is a great list! Thanks for including sk*rt.

7. Kristen says:

Thanks mom in ny, I will ad a list of forums to the update.

8. Great list Kristen

….especially if you have kids.

Interesting that women seem to have the strongest sense of community and networking in their role as mothers.

9. Susan says:

And here I thought I knew ‘em all! Thanks for this list. It’s a great resource.

10. Matt says:

Thanks for the mention of Minti – this is a wonderful list very well done :)

11. Kristen says:

I’m sure there are a lot more that need to be on the list but I’m so glad you appreciate it.

12. MikeonTV says:

Wow. None appeal to me but congrats on the hard word BTW submitted to Digg – http://digg.com/tech_news/39_Social_Networks_You_Could_Only_Bring_Home_To_Mom

13. Great list…can’t wait to check ‘em out!

14. Aruni says:

Thanks for the great list! I saw your post from eMoms blog. I’m looking into building a social networking site as well surrounding our web/mobile applications so it’s great to see how many mom sites are out there.

15. jonny says:

Here’s are two that mom’s can use

http://Loopt.com – for those moms who want to keep track of their kids. It’s geo-tracking social networking.

http://Sleep.FM – good way to remind your kids in the morning of something important, especially those kids in college

16. Lisa McNeill says:

Kristen,

This is a very useful list. There are so many social networks out there, this really defines the ones with top activity. Thanks for sharing.

-Lisa

17. WAHM Tara says:

Excellent post! I had never even heard of some of these! Thanks!

18. Erin says:

Awesome list! Thanks for putting it together.

19. Patty says:

Looks like a great list! I’d like to see MamasTimeOut added! :)

20. Jenny says:

I have been looking for more sites to spread the love on and I have just joined all these. Thanks for letting us know about them.

21. Sueblimely says:

What a wonderful resource you have put together here. I will let people know about it :-)

22. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It is so awesome to find this list all in one place.

I actually just found your site through the Mom Blog Network. :)

Your site is great! I just subscribed to your feed.

23. Marla says:

I love lists. Just read this, thanks for the opmom.com mention!

24. Verena says:

in Europe you have http://www.mamiweb.de a german-speaking social network for mothers, with more than 100.000 registered members.

Its mainly for the countries Germany, Austria, Switzerland and South-Tirol.

25. Barbie says:

you should add these on your local list: knoxmoms.com (knoxville) evansvillemoms.com(evansville in); 805moms.com (Ventura County CA); midsouthmoms.com (memphis, tn)

they’re great local sites that help moms connect both on and offline – with some of the most comprehensive guides for events, child care and more.

26. Raquel says:

Conscious Woman, Inc. (www.consciouswoman.org) is a great networking site, and we have fabulous webinars available on topics relating to women’s health, children’s health and the enviornment.

27. Maurice says:

Here’s another one mom’s will find very cool!

http://www. yadahome.com — Free social network for parents — blogs, forums, local events, user profiles, games, horoscopes, recipes, contests and more. Very cool user interface that looks like the kitchen “Fridge” .

28. Kristen says:

Here is another that is new and really great. I like it because it is simple fun and easy to navigate!

29. Janie P says:

hi great article. thanks. I just signed up for a site that I saw advertised on facebook. it looks pretty neat… http://www.pinklinx.com

30. Elise says:

Here’s the ultimate regional social media experience for moms and women – I Am Modern Magazine for Moms, recently named “Best Entrepreneurial Business of the Year” in Northern Virginia’s Loudoun County, offers Internet Social Media and online dialogue, a regional glossy magazine, offline events and meetups, and multimedia presentations. Pretty much the only Social Media Magazine with on and offline content generated by its readers, Northern Virginia Moms. For advertisers, Modern Moms Media offers a phalanx of coordinated Internet Marketing and Social Media Awareness across this very important demographic, by Mom-owned KME Internet Marketing at KME Internet Marketing .

31. Johanna says:

Very good article! I have been a member of a few of those but spend more time on bellyhood then any other. I find it to be VERY supportive especially for new moms and no drama! =)

32. Lianda says:

Great lists!! Check out our site http://www.momsonthemove.com. It’s going to broadcast nationally in the summer. A great networking site for moms!

33. I don’t think this list will ever grow old. Where do I find the time to join all of them, be a mom, run my business, and have time with my family?!!

34. Ashlee says:

Have you checked out http://www.momslingolounge.com??? you wont want to miss it!

35. rosie says:

This is probably the most comprehensive list I have ever seen. It is vital that every resource available to moms be aware of this listing to share FREE resources that will help Moms continue to be super.
    You have provided a great way for womem to be empowered by having ways to share with each other. In addition the comment that included forumns is also awesome. Thanks

36. rosie says:

I also want to encourage all moms to visit http://www.beintheknownj.org
    It provides exceptional resources and cutting edge information aimed to keep families healthy.
    You can also ask questions and get answers from a team of health professionals in FASD, addictions, environmental, child and disability issues

37. Bradi says:

MyWorkButterfly.com, a niche social networking site for return to work and working moms. Free job board, support, advice and solutions.

38. Kim says:

ParentClick.com is another great resource and they will be relaunching with a much stronger social media component for moms at the end of 2010.

39. Diana says:

Hey, there’s going to be a new community for moms with many new features in Germany. Check http://www.mibaby.de/

40. Thanks for putting such a great list together. Here is a new social network site for moms that has recently launched http://www.mommysbestfriends.com. Check it out!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Candid E-mail Interview With Social Media Expert And Mom: Shana Albert — Social Media Mom - 12. Mar, 2008

[...] by socialmediamom submit_url = “http://www.socialmediamom.com/2008/03/candid-e-mail-i.html”; Several months ago, I was contemplating putting together a list for this blog because we all know that every serious blogger’s got to make at least one resource list, right? As a result, I got in contact with fellow work at home mom and social media expert, Shana Albert, to discuss an idea I had. I was blown away! Not only because Shana was extremely helpful, but because she sacrificed her valuable work time, to essentially, encourage a total stranger (me) in my quest to develop the “perfect list“. [...]

2. Kirtsy — Social Media Mom - 14. May, 2008

[...] = “http://www.socialmediamom.com/2008/05/kirtsy.html”; As you may know, one of the best social networking sites for moms has been the Digg-like site called Sk*rt. For a little over a year, the ladies over at Sk*rt have [...]

3. the power of WAHM! « the story byline - 17. May, 2008

[...] I came across a blog where a work at home mom discusses social media and networking called Social Media Mom.  It lists “the best in Mom networking sites”.   Another resource is The Ultimate Mommy Blog [...]

4. Vert Brands - Food For Thought: Marketing. Sustainability. Social Responsibility. » Blog Archive » want to reach moms online? - 03. Jun, 2008

[...] to reach moms, this most likely means choosing specialized, targeted social networking sites like these. Bookmark It Hide [...]

5. Mom’s Top Questions About Family Travel - WanderMom - 09. Aug, 2009

[...] which shows data from known sources such as Alexa and Compete), I also used the round-up of social networking sites for moms by socialmediamom.com (from January 2008). I visited each of the websites listed on these rankings [...]

6. Social Network Sites For Moms and Grandmas?-7 Reasons Baby Boomers Should Visit | Rosie’s Boomer Review - 03. May, 2010

[...] So I applaud the resourceful genius mom who compiled this extensive listing of Social Networking sites for Moms. Please visit, comment on her site, join some of the networks and enjoy this extraordinary target foc… [...]

Share your view